Wednesday, January 16, 2013

THE SESSIONS

At first glance at the title, I thought this would be about a musical group.  OMG, was I wrong!  This is based on the true-life story of poet Mark O'Brien's (John Hawkes) life alternating between a gurney and an iron lung due to his polio.  He is writing an article about sex among the disabled and decided at 38 years old, it is time he loses his virginity.  Being a devout Catholic, he asks his priest (William H Macy) permission.  He gets it and hires a sex surrogate (Helen Hunt).

The acting is wonderful among the 3 main characters and even the supporting actors, specifically Moon Bloodgood, Adam Arkin, Rhea Perlman and Jennifer Kumiyama contribute nicely.  Ben Lewin wrote and directed the movie get the most accommodations however as it was tastefully filmed and beautifully written.

This movie spoke to me as a writer and human being.  His poem Breathing was breathtaking (pardon the pun) and his love poem to no one in particular was amazing.  One line about letting his words be your base reminded me about a line in one of my own poems about "using my words as your tissue" and gave me goosebumps in that  the line was somewhat similar.

I give this movie two strong thumbs up which will surely be holding a book of Mark O'Briens poetry hopefully soon.

No comments: