Saturday, January 12, 2013

LES MISERABLES

I have not read the book and I saw the theatrical version many years ago.  I don't hate the musical, I just think that the music is  so over-powering that I cannot hear all the words.  Words are my life.  The general plot was depressing starting with the oppressive government and continuing with the poor people turning to criminal activities to survive.  Yes, there are oppressive governments and crime; but call me naive or wearing rose-colored glasses but I prefer to believe that you can make the most out of bad situations with a simple positive attitude. Refer to the previous post reviewing Beasts of the Southern Wild, but  I digress.

The best thing about this 2012 movie version besides Hugh Jackman's wonderful acting/singing and Anne Hathaway's singing was the comical relief from Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter.  Master of the house lightens up the mood and brings some joy to a often depressing movie.  At points, it did seem like a long movie which I think should not be recognized because we should be engrossed into a good movie where we do not notice the time.

Hugh Jackman definitely deserves his Oscar nomination and I would be happy if he won.  Anne Hathaway should have been nominated as lead actress because Fantine is more important to the story than any other female role.  Russell Crowe performs arguably his best acting to date but that is because in my humble opinion, he was over-hyped in Gladiator, The Insider and A Beautiful Mind.

I give this one thumb up representing the excellent casting of Sacha and Helena with Hugh and Anne's chemistry and acting while the other thumb is pointing to the Les Mis fans who undoubtedly will disagree (hopefully respectively).

No comments: