Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Blood Diamond

If you enjoyed Hotel Rwanda from 2004, Blood Diamond is for you. It is horrific in the bloodshed and civil unrest but the individual performances pull it through. I do not consider myself a Leonardo DiCaprio fan but Leo has outdone himself. I hoped for a lead actor nomination but the so-called "experts" were saying he would be nominated for The Departed. I haven't seen that yet but I was extremely glad that the Academy recognized Leo for Blood Dimaond. Jennifer Connelly was also quite good and Djimon Hounsou was simply amazing. I felt like he was a real person and not just an actor portraying a troubled character. I actually walked out of the movie theater feeling bad for owning a diamond in the same way that I walked out of Schindler's List feeling bad that I was german. Thumbs up--I recommend it.

No comments: