Sunday, February 3, 2008

Atonement

Atonement is part of the movie industry's never-ending quest to turn a book into a movie. A lot of people prefer the books and even more are disapointed in the elimination of characters or whole plots onto the bigscreen. Ian McEwan wrote the bok and co-wrote the screenplay for Atonement and this is what I believe helps. The author knows what they wrote, what is important and can work with the director to make sure nothing important is left out. When I read the book, I enjoyed it but felt as if I was missing something like it went over my head. The movie brings the story full circle. I liked the movie and cinematography very well. It sort of reminded me of Titanic where no actor/actress stood out in a really good movie however, Saoirse Ronan did stand out as being an amazing 13 year old actress who totally captures the character of Briony Tallis as young, book-educated yet socially-innocent and yearning to be noticed. Two thumbs up while holding the pages of the book that you should read----BEFORE seeing the movie!

No comments: