Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Lone Ranger

Not looking forward to seeing this as I heard that it wasn't a good movie.  I appreciated the whole Lone Ranger/Tonto story but was turned away from this Tonto's makeup.

Now that I've seen it, I rescind my comment.  Johnny Depp disappears into every role he takes on and that includes his portrayal of Tonto.  This version is told by Tonto which I found refreshing seeing Tonto as the storyteller and not just a sidekick.  Armie Hammer portrayed the Lone Ranger as a guy who fell into the job which made him more human and not as much of a "hero complex".

This was an obviously Disney-fied production with it's humor and storytelling and PG-13 action/adventure.  One of the best theme songs (William Tell Overture) was predominately featured at multiple times throughout the movie making it hokey and inspirational at the same time.  The reference to Native American medicine and spirituality especially relating to Silver, the horse was a nice touch.  Tom Wilkinson was a good bad guy.

I give this a one and a half thumbs up in surprise and a mighty "high ho Silver away".

No comments: