Sunday, February 2, 2014

Captain Phillips

I am not the best at following the news.  I don't remember much if anything about the 2009 hijacking by Somali pirates of a US cargo ship even though it was the first one in 200 years.

The legendary Tom Hanks plays the title role of Captain Richard Phillips who epitomizes strength and leadership throughout the movie.

Barkhad Abdi is a great story of a native Somalian whose family moved to Minnesota where Barkhad became a limo driver with no acting aspirations.  He now as a supporting actor nomination and an agent.  He held his own in scenes with multi-nominated and multi-winner Tom Hanks.

Overall, this movie came together with action, stunning visual scenes, acting and heart.

I give this movie one and a half thumbs up as a true representative of what a best picture nominee aspires to be...a movie for all.

1 comment:

M Lynn Connolly said...

Bob and I enjoyed this movie a lot. Both Tom and Barkhad did a fine job. I do not remember the details of the original incident but from what I read it was pretty close to what really occurred.