Sunday, January 19, 2014

Her

This reminded me of the lesser known movie, Disconnect about our dependence on technology but on a much grander scale.

I try to live my life to connect with other humans in a personable way and refuse to let technology take over my life.  Oh sure, I have a smart phone, e-reader and computer (obviously as I'm writing this blog) but cannot survive without person-to-person interaction.

When people walk down the street or in a place of business talking through their ear piece or other blue tooth device, I am saddened.  Many school age children and young adults are growing up and going to school without never learning the knowledge of interpersonal communication.  The beauty of a loving touch through a pat on the back or hug.  The power of looking into someone's eyes and not saying a word but still getting your point across.  It seems to me like silence is shunned instead of treated like the golden attribute that it is.

This movie made me sad at all the voice-activated technology telling objects (software) what to do instead of working with a person and discussing, deciding or even collaborating and compromising to accomplish a feat.  A relationship can be many things objects, animals, people but people should be the most valued.

The job that Joaquin Phoenix's character has as a letter writer for people intrigues me as a writer.  It also hurts me to think people would rather pay people to show applicable feelings than to experience them themselves.  The supporting role by Amy Adams provided some stability for Joaquin but this movie was mostly between Joaquin's Theodore and "Her".  The supporting roles of Rooney Mara and Chris Pratt were under developed for these talented actors.

I give this a one and a half thumb up to encourage verbal discussion about improving interpersonal communication instead of using those thumbs for texting and other technological uses.

No comments: