Saturday, September 7, 2013

Stories We Tell

Sarah Polley is at the top of my always increasing pedestal of writer's that I admire and aspire to become.

She burst onto my radar in 2007 with the release of her wonderful movie, Away From Her (see my review earlier in this blog dated 6/2/07), about a woman dealing with Alzheimer's that SHOULD have earned an Oscar for Julie Christie--damn that Marion Cotillard, but I digress.

She returns to my radar in a documentary about her own life and how her family of storytellers (actors, directors and producers) can mix myth and memory to create the truth of their lives.

This started off a bit jumpy showing all the set-up of the camera's and interview participants.  I loved how her father, Michael Polley was the narrator for most of it along with Sarah herself.  The writing was filled with a so many great lines about truth, secrets and memories that I cannot possibly remember them all.  It made me smile at points, cry due to Sarah's uncanny ability to make me think about my own writing aspirations and mostly induce thoughtfulness.

I will be seeing this again whether in the theater or at home after I purchase it.

In the mean time, I give this two thumbs up pointing to all those people we have lost (like Sarah's mom) and the truths, secrets, myths and memories they have taken with them in their journey to their heavens.

No comments: