Sunday, April 8, 2007

Glass Castle

The Glass Castle, A Memoir by Jeanette Walls is an interesting book about Jeanette's parents, brother and her two sisters growing up in a lifestyle that is not very solid. The family moves around a lot and her dad is a drunk. The whole time I was reading this, I kept looking at the author photograph in the back and thinking 'no way could that beautiful woman experience this much hardship. I'm not saying that I don't believe her. It just felt to me like her style of writing made the story feel like fiction and not a memoir. It was an enjoyable story but a memoir to me should provide some "aha" moments that make the reader be inspired by the struggles that the person has been through. Overall, I enjoyed it but would only recommend it as a rental from the library.

No comments: